May 9, 2013

Coconut Almond Cookies (vegan and gluten free)

vegan, gluten free

Who doesn't love cookies? Even those who try to eat a healthy plant based diet still enjoy treats. I certainly do. I have found that recipes for cookies lend themselves quite well to makeovers. They are among the most forgiving products in the scientific world of baking.

There are a few cookies that I seem to make for myself repeatedly. These chewy and wholesome Coconut Almond Cookies are among my favorites. They are just sweet enough to satisfy my cravings, delicious, and at the same time not at all bad for me. They have the added bonus of being high in dietary fiber and are gluten free.

You will find that this recipe is quick and easy to prepare and your home will smell absolutely divine while they are baking. I hope that you will enjoy them as much as I do.

Coconut Almond Cookies

Makes about 30 cookies.

1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, add 1 tablespoon for chewier cookies
 1/2 cup almond flour, or ground almonds
 1 1/2 cups gluten free oat flour, or ground gluten free oats
 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
 1/2 teaspoon aluminum free baking powder
 1/2 cup maple syrup or agave nectar
 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut or almond milk
 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
 1/2 teaspoon almond extract

In a large bowl, combine the coconut, almond flour, oat flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and baking powder.

In a separate container, measure the maple syrup, coconut milk, coconut oil, and almond extract.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix.

Refrigerate the batter for 20-30 minutes.

Heat the oven to 325 F.

Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or lightly greased parchment paper (use coconut oil for greasing). Use a 1 1/4 inch scoop or two spoons to form the cookies and arrange them with a minimum of an inch between each cookie.

Bake the cookies for about 15 minutes or until they spring back slightly when touched with your fingertips or until they are golden brown.

Remove from the oven and cool completely.

The cookies will store nicely at room temperature in a sealed container for up to 2 weeks.

vegan, gluten freevegan, gluten freevegan, gluten freevegan, gluten freevegan, gluten freevegan, gluten freevegan, gluten freevegan, gluten free

Categories: Cookies, Brownies & Bars, Desserts, Gluten Free, Vegan Desserts

Index: , , ,

13 Responses to Coconut Almond Cookies (vegan and gluten free)

1. Brenda says:

What can I use instead of the oat flour? Quinoa flour?? If so, the same amounts?

2. michael says:

This is a guilt-free cookie. I made my own coconut milk and shredded coconut and even ground up my own almonds. The texture of the cookies were decadent (even though they technically are not). The texture is such that of a soft bread that just crumbles into cream in your mouth. However I did need to compromise some taste for health. But, such judgment is based on my neutrality towards almond extract. Other than the almond extract the cookie was excellent and when i make them again i will substitute in vanilla bean instead. I had a blast making them!

3. MaryClare says:

I just found this site and recipe today and can’t wait to make these macaroons,
    which are one of my favorite cookies of all time.

I was shopping at my health food store and found a ‘Hail Merry’ brand of gluten-free-vegan macaroons w/o eggs which I grew up being sensitive to thanks to a set of vaccines in 1st grade which I then developed allergies and asthma from.

The ingredients on these decadent (and expensive) cookies I bought today are:
    organic shredded coconut, organic maple syrup, natural raw almond flour, organic extra virgin coconut oil, pure Madagascar bourbon vanilla, and sea salt.

• julieschwarz says:

You will enjoy this recipe. They are easy to make, delicious, and cost effective. Glad you found my site.

4. Vegan celiac says:

Perfect!!! I followed the recipe to a T and they turned out great. One batch was 9 cookies. Yummy!

5. Colleen Chao says:

I don’t know why there aren’t 900 comments on this recipe. These are the best cookies I’ve had in a very long time! My husband and I are inhaling them as I type this. 🙂 Thank you so much for a super-healthy, unbelievably tasty treat!! I’ve pinned the recipe and am passing it along via email to a few friends who also suffer from multiple food allergies. Thank you again!

6. julieschwarz says:

I am so glad you like them. I love them too. Try the oatmeal or chocolate chip cookies on the site as well. My husband loves the oatmeal.

7. Looks amazing! I plan to try this:)) I had a gluten-free almond coconut cookie yesterday from a Dallas food truck – delicious!

8. Vicky says:

I am trying to go vegan and this recipe looks amazing! But I don’t have coconut oil and I have no idea what to replace it with (butter not bein an option) and neither do I have the almond extract. What do I do??

• julieschwarz says:

Improvise. If you don’t want to make a trip to the grocery store, use organic canola or safflower oil instead of the coconut oil or try applesauce. Use vanilla extract in place of the almond. Good luck.

9. JR says:

Thanks for the recipe! I made these cookies with a few alterations, and they were fantastic! I used 5T honey (I know, not vegan) instead of the 1/2c syrup since I’ve also eliminated sugar from my diet, and honey is allowed in small quantities. That works out to 1/2t per cookie, and honestly, it didn’t even need to be that sweet (maybe because I’ve been off sugar for a while now!). I also added about 1-2T of good-quality cocoa powder, which made these deliciously chocolaty! I realized I didn’t have almond extract, so I used double the vanilla extract and really enjoyed the flavor.